Early Connections Conference
Taking Care of Our Children ... Taking Care of Ourselves
The 31st Annual Early Connections Conference "Taking Care of Our Children… Taking Care of Ourselves" will be held on May 3, 2014, at Perkins' Watertown campus.
This annual conference offers a unique opportunity for parents of children with visual impairments (birth-7) and professionals to come together to both learn new information and to network. Lunch and childcare are provided.
Click here for a downloadable Conference Brochure.
Conference sessions include:
- Sensory-Based Calming Strategies
- Getting the Most Out of Your iPad for Both You and Your Child
- Orientation and Mobility Ideas for Phase Three Children with Cortical Visual Impairment
- Simply Learning, Do-It-Yourself at Home Techniques for Early Education
- IFSP to IEP: Planning for Preschool
- ABCs of Literacy
- Letting Go, Being Safe at Home
- Feeding & Eating: Adaptive Equipment & Practical Teaching Methods
- Do-It-Yourself Sensory Activities
- Talking About Differences and Disabilities
Keynote Speaker: Susan LaVenture
Susan LaVenture is an advocate for parents of children who are blind, visually impaired, including those with multiple disabilities. She initially became involved when her youngest son Alex was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, a rare form of infant eye cancer. For over 20 years Susan has worked to develop programs that provide/promote support, education and advocacy for families and the development of nonprofit parents’ organizations.
Campus Map & Directions
This year's conference will take place in the new Lower School facility at Perkins School for the Blind. Click here for a map of the campus, directions by car, and directions by public transportation.
For any questions or concerns regarding registration, please contact Torey Akers at 617-972-7553 or Torey.Akers@Perkins.org.